A new look and a fresh website with all the trimmings in between. This was the task I was given by Josefa from always Josefa. And so it begun – Emails started to flow, pinterest was getting a thrashing, my ink and brushes dusted off and then the idea came to us – we need a wall of flowers.
If you are following always Josefa then you know its no secret that she is beyond obsessed with flowers. They are featured is most of her images and being her sister I can tell you first hand that there will almost always be a bunch of fresh flowers somewhere in her house.
My initial thought was to create a wall jam packed with fresh flowers, but soon reality kicked me in the butt and the cost of this was far greater than our budget. So this led me down the track of artificial flowers. Then the fun begun!
Bags and bags of flowers were delivered.
I laid out all the flowers to give them a chance to breathe and open up. Being squashed up in a bag caused the flowers to crimp, bend and look terribly sad.
We set up a rod that would be used to hold the flowers. This was also an easy tool to have to transport the wall as well as keep everything in place. Then my trusty friend, Mr Glue Gun came out to help. I started to fill in the back of the wall with the foliage pieces that we purchased. These were used as the base, almost like a skeleton giving me the ability to build on it.
From that base I started to build on the flowers, first using the larger flowers that had leaves attached then filling it in with the smaller bulbs.
One thing you consistently need to do is step back to have a better look at what you are doing. Working so closely can put you in a trap and you find that you may overwork one area more than the rest. So be sure to step back and look at the work as a bigger picture.
Once all the flowers were set in their place the we let them sit over night to continue to let them breathe and open up and I went home and nursed my Glue Gun battle scars.
The last step of the process was the addition of a lace fabric lining at the back. As the Flower wall was sitting over a glass doorway we needed a screen to block it, plus the addition of the floral details in the lace gave the wall that perfect finishing touch.
Finally the wall was complete.
This wall is featured is many parts of always Josefas new look. Including her website banner (as below) where I incorporated hand drawn sketches of the florals with a touch of watercolour and her logo.
Also you can see the wall live in action below is the gorgeous ‘about me’ video of Josefa.
Linking up with Essentially Jess for IBOT